Monday, January 22, 2007

Racing Season has Begun!!!


Well, the first race of the season is now out of the way, and those that attended, all survived!!
Cycle Logic representation was a little low, but we had team members in both the A & B races last weekend.

Moose (Anthony Musalo) and Scott Pfaff both participated in the A race, and appeared to take totally opposite approaches.

Scott worked a bit on the front of the group throughout the race, while Anthony looked like he felt content sitting in and seeing what the pace was going to do (remember, we can't see what's going on throughout the rest of the course, so Anthony could have been working his butt off back there). Both did a great job, and represented well.

Paul, Rodrigo and I raced the B race. Paul hadn't even warmed up, and seemed to brag about not being on his bike since he was a junior racer, so my expectations were that he was going to sit in, feel the pace, and just use it as a feeler to see where he needed to be fitness-wise. Surprisingly enough, he stayed in the whole time, and did a very good job of staying protected, while limiting his time at the head of the pack. I worked as little as possible, managed to bridge a few small gaps, but tried my hardest to stay out of the wind (which was in our face around the entire course). Rodrigo 'Landis' Sagastegui stayed in for 5 laps, but I think he got a feel for where he needs to be for the season. I think his plan is to do better next weekend after some interval training this week at the UF & Shands Sports Performance Institute. I was surprised to see Paul fly by me on the back stretch halfway through the last lap, trying to give me a bit of a leadout into the last two corners. Although I couldn't get onto his wheel right away, it gave me the inspiration I needed to at least improve my position into the next to last corner, and then again into the last corner. I sprinted my hardest out of the last corner, passing one, then two guys. Then, as my steam was running out, I could see the guy I just passed coming up on my left ever so slowly. So I put on some more steam, bobbed my head like the pros do, and pushed my bike at the line. If I edged him out, I got 7th, if not, then 8th. Prizes were 6 deep (it figures). Paul finished with the group (Thanks for the help at the end).

You can read about all of the races last Saturday at racelistings.com racelistings.com

Next weekend, same bat time, same bat channel.
The race flyer for all three races is attached to this post...simply click on the thumbnail in the top left-hand corner to open the full-resolution flyer...check it out if you’re interested in racing.

Take care.
See you Saturday

No comments: