Saturday, April 12, 2008

The bad news and the good news...

The good news is we are all still alive and kicking. some not kicking as hard as they normally would, but kicking nonetheless with both feet.

Last week, Jayson O'mahoney got tangled up with a piece of furniture in the road while on a group ride in Gainesville. He was carted off by the local EMT's and checked out at the hospital. He will be in a neck brace for a few weeks, and tending to some road rash for a little while but as I said, he's still kicking with both feet. I believe by now he is recovering at home.
submitted by the victim himself
Actually, I didn't touch any "furniture" on the road. Rather, another rider on the Hipp ride did - or at least that is what I heard. All I remember is seeing a rider on the ground in front of me with nowhere to go at 30pmh. Gary Yates counted eight riders down at this crash. Without a doubt it was the worst crash I've ever had the misfortune of being involved with. I didn't go to the ER that night but after prompting by several people I headed there on Friday, April 11. I believe the guy who caused the crash may have flicked something up from the side of the road which brought him down. Unfortunately I have nothing but bad thoughts for him. He is an inexperienced, weaker rider who had no business partaking in the Hipp ride - on this occasion and prior.

I have road rash on both hips, left knee, left hand, left cheek, right ear, left side of nose and some minor spots elsewhere. The ER staff at North Florida ran a CAT scan and determined I have 2 x vertebrae compression fractures. I count myself as very lucky; I quite possibly could have ended up as a quadraplegic because of this crash. I will be seeing a neurosurgeon next week but initial prognosis is no surgery is required. My beloved Kestrel EMS 300 frameset has a broken right side chainstay. Craig Calfee of Calfee Design should be able to repair it but I have managed to find another such bike new old stock
in a bike shop far from Gainesville. At least the bike is repairable / replaceable.

My primary focus now is to heal for my trip to Australia in three weeks. At this stage I think I will be forgoing the State Time Trial due to lack of training time.

Jayson

In today's circuit race in Deland, Ron Palsgrove got roped into a 4 to 6 bike pile up that occurred directly in front of him. I could have sworn he was clear until two bikes slid right in front of him. Ron, too was provided a ride by the local EMT's. After a couple hours in the hospital, and a dip into a barf bag, Ron was released with only a mild concussion, a sprained shoulder, and a little bit of road rash. I must say, I believe Ron saved me from getting involved because the two bikes that slid in front of him were headed straight towards me. Ron, while I appreciate the effort, that is not what we mean by "taking one for the team".

I'm sure I speak for everyone in saying we wish you both a speedy recovery and we look forward to seeing you on the bikes as soon as your healing permits.

Some more good news:
Cycle-Logic has picked up two new memebers!!
Mike Arena: currently a category 5 racer. You may recognize the name from the messenger bag donated by him during the Bring It On Series earlier this year.
Eric Stubbs: A strong Category 4 racer with impressive results in some tough events.
We look forward to riding and racing with both of you.

JP/CL

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We wish you well Jayson. Keep us posted on your progress.

-J&V