Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Box of Nuts

Enjoy the literary stylings of our very own Kerry Duggan.

Forrest Gump's mother said that life (like a cat 3/4 race) is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're going to get.

In Sundays Spring Fling RR too many of the chocolates were rancid or full of dangerous nuts - and the box was way too full. Narrow roads and Nazi officials created a 90 something nervously careening anaconda peleton that snaked back at least 100 yards.

I was impossible to move up without crossing the yellow line of death. It took Eric, James and I about 3 of the 6, seven-mile laps just to move up close to Roger, who for some reason had no problem staying in the front dozen or so.

After abusing 2' wide gutters and sprinting into blowing headwind sections we managed to claw our way to the front and effected a few breakaway attempts or chasedowns. Unfortunately it became clear that, like most cat 3 races - ain't nobody goin' nowhere no how.

When the final sprint loomed up like a cliff before a herd of drunken lemmings, we watched 80 - $5000. bicycles try to squeeze into 8 slots worth a total of $200. in their bid for glory. I think Eric placed well but us older guys did the math and backed out of the mele. Bok, bok, bok. No worries eh Jayson? In the end we all advanced our fitness, tempered our terror and even managed to work as a team a little. And.......nobody crashed. At least this race.

That's good enough for me.

Best wishes to Ron and Jayson.

As a long time master's racer who hasn't done a cat 3/4 race in 20 years, it was amazing to observe the antics of hyper, brain dead youngsters taking stupid risks - safe in their certainty of immortality. Unfortunately once you have the bug.......there is nothing else that will do.

K-Dogg

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice.
...the write up, not the race. I got out while I could with my helmet in one piece. Way too sketchy for me. I was hoping the group would get stretched out in the last lap, minimizing the possibility of a crash. Didn't happen, so I was out!!.
Good on ya for sticking with it, Kerry. Jayson and Ron's antics were a little too close to home for me.
JP

Anonymous said...

Boys, I think it's about time we consider racing Masters 35+ with Scott. By far my Tallahassee race with Scott was one of the more enjoyable this year.